Sunday, November 18, 2012

Starting Point & Goals

A Quest For Health & Fitness is about losing weight, getting fit(ter), and making better, healthier choices. It’s about being happy, about self-respect, and about taking care of oneself.
 ~     ~     ~
My name is Sal, 31 years old and living in Germany. I’m a tax auditor by trade, I also work a couple of hours in my local health & fitness club – I’m the girl doing all the “computer stuff”. I’m not yet overweight but getting close, which is the reason for me wanting to bring about serious change in my life.
In the past 3 years, I’ve gained lots of weight. I ate (and still eat) lots of crap, ceased to exercise regularly, and was put on medication. But I gained weight mostly because of unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise. The meds only cause a little extra food-craving.
Once upon a time, I used to be thin and athletic, my body was flexible and I had great endurance and strength.
In late 2009, I changed jobs and moved to a different city. Suddenly, I didn’t have friends and family around. I turned to chocolate and chips for comfort. I tried to find a fitness club in my new “home” but didn’t want to go on my own – and didn’t go at all. In 2011 I had already gained quite a few kilograms.
In the summer of 2011, I asked to be transferred to a different department and to yet another different city. I moved in with my boyfriend, D., and all seemed to be going well. Until my new job slowly started burning me out. On top of this, a friend of mine committed suicide in September 2011, which I couldn’t handle at all: depression, panic attacks, medication, over-eating, self-destructive behavior… you name it.
Nowadays, taking the stairs to the third floor leaves me breathless and feeling awful. My favorite jeans don’t fit any more and I’ve gone two sizes up. I can’t run for longer than a minute or two. I used to do 30 push-ups daily – now I can hardly do three before collapsing.
I absolutely hate being that way! And that’s why I want to change. I want to eat differently, I want to find the courage to go to a fitness club and actually work out again(and not only help the manager doing the computer stuff). I want to be a runner. I want to be able to do 20+ push-ups. I want! I want! I want!
I want to make better choices. Because, in a nutshell, it’s all about choices.
~     ~     ~
Starting point:
  • not yet overweight, but close
  • no endurance
  • low strength
  • bad, bad eating habits (high carb)
  • back hurts
  • climbing stairs is exhausting
  • food allergies are excuse for not eating healthy
Goals:
  • lose 7-8 kgs
  • be able to run for 30 mintes
  • be able to do 20+ push-ups
  • eat healthy (low carb)
  • reduce sugar intake
  • drink more water
  • build muscles & gain strength
What are your goals and what’s your starting point?

No comments:

Post a Comment